Tuesday 20 February 2018

American Horned Lark at Staines

On Thursday 15th February, after almost quarter of a century, 24 and a half years to be precise, it was a long overdue nostalgic return visit to Staines Reservoirs at around 10am. I had tried the western end and it had totally changed, as I turned around in a scrubby car park, I heard but did not see a Ring- necked Parakeet call. I had seen some great birds at Staines, cycling down there from Hounslow when I was studying for my Library degree and my first Library jobs since qualifying at Chiswick and Hounslow Libraries. The far west side has totally changed with roundabouts either side and the expansion of Heathrow evident. The eastern side was far more recognisable with the housing estate area still there and Ashford Hospital further down the road. The sign had changed by the Eastern entrance but the railings were just the same and most importantly the reservoirs the same too and as I walked up, I met some people looking over the north side they said the bird was further down. Reaching almost to the towers at the far end, one birder came up saying had I seen it? No, I replied, he stated that the birders had seen it ten minues ago but it had flown up a little way towards the middle. Each side of the walkway which is borders by a 5.5 high foot railings, it slopes down to the water's edge. The half nearest the path was grass, that nearest the water's edge was stone interspersed with weeds growing through. I had checked some birds noting first Meadow Pipit and Pied Wagtail. But a larger Lark like bird I spotted was the bird, the excellent American Horned Lark. I informed the 3 other birders and we quickly got onto the bird and followed as it as it was constantly feeding on the sloped borders along the concrete part interspersed by reeds. It was a heavily marked bird with...It then flew to around half way along and we saw it pretty close before it went down tot he waters edge. Also seen walking back along the east side, 2 fine male Goldeneyes. Driving along past Reading a Red Kite flew low over the motorway near Newbury services.

No comments: