Sunday 15 October 2017

Phalarope & Yellow- brows

On Sunday 8th October, a check around Gunton woods failed to reveal any YBW, but calling 8 Siskin flying over and constant Redwing calls heralded their return, just 1 Redwing seen flying over. A look at Ness Point failed to reveal the YBW there although good to catch up with both Chris M and Rob Win. Rob & I checked Mariners and Malsters Scores, a YBW watched by someone else seen flying off but un-tickable views for me. 4 Chiff- Chaff seen here and a male Blackcap seen. Next stop was Southward Flash so parking at the last space available by the water tower I walked down and saw 1 couple set scoping the flash. No need o ask them where it was as I picked up instantly, a super Grey Phalarope, constantly feeding in the water along the left hand edge, often obscured by grass along the northern edge, but occasionally it would venture into the middle having a wing stretch and preen or two before recommencing its feeding. 2 Ruff suddenly walked into view from the far side. Mid afternoon, a tweet from Craig about hearing a YBW from trees bordering the Station Road children's playground and I drove straight over. As I was walking across the field, I heard the bird call and the first bird I saw looking in the large sycamore was the excellent Yellow- browed Warbler, flitting around showing typical white belly cream super cilia and 2 cream wing bars, I watched the bird for around 2 minutes before it flew right. Checking Old SW, I heard a Yellow- browed Warbler from the hedge behind but I didn't see the bird. A look in Belle Vue Park, by the Ravine just east of the bridge revealed a male Great- spotted Woodpecker that flew into a large tree in the top most branches.

No comments: